Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Moments Social Networking Missed

Go back with me for a moment. Back to a time when something special or shocking happened in sports and you tried to call your boys. Yet, they were trying to call you too, and you both were getting a busy signal. A time when before you left school on Friday, you talked about the upcoming sporting events. Then on Monday, soon as you got to class the first thing you did was recap, and talk junk if your team won. Those were the days.

Now, thanks to social networking, those times are pretty much gone. Now, we are able to talk in real-time about events. We can talk junk before, during, and after without getting a busy signal. Its more convenient, however it also evokes some emotions that having time to think about a game would probably calm down. I could devote an entire blog to that. However, I want to focus on some moments from my youth that would have shut the social networks down. Moments that I got the busy signal, and couldn't wait to get back to school to talk about on Monday. Moments that Social Networks Missed. So without further adieu, come back with me...

Mike Tyson losing to Buster Douglas- This is one of the first moments in watching sports that I remember being absolutely silent after it happened. At this point EVERYBODY stopped what they were doing to watch Mike Tyson fight. At this point EVERYBODY who watched this fight was stuck with their mouth on the ground when it ended. It still trips me out to watch this to this day, and knowing that it was the beginning of the end of Mike Tyson makes it even more surreal.

Mike Tyson Biting Evander Holyfield- I could honestly devote a whole blog of these to Mike Tyson. This is another moment that when it happened, the whole room went silent. Only this time, everyone yelled, "YOOOO, HE BIT HIM!!!" One of the most shocking moments in the history of sports still. I could only imagine what would have happened on Facebook and Twitter after this.


Michael Jordan over Byron Russell- Here's another cat, that I could devote an entire blog of these too. From the "Flu Game", to the countless buzzer beaters. However, this is the moment that would have definitely caused the social networks to go nuts. From the people yelling bout how great the shot was, to the people pointing out the pushoff, it would have been great to see the reaction.

Michigan State-Michigan 2001- Due to the amount of time I spend talking junk to UofM fans on Facebook, I had to post this one. This is a moment that is still whined...I mean argued about to this day by those people.  I would have LOVED for Facebook to have been around when this moment happened.

Well there are just a few moments for you to think back on. Moments that you probably got the busy signal trying to call your boys. Moments that you couldn't wait to get back to school on Monday to talk about. Moments that social networks missed.

I'm Jimmy L. Wilson, Jr. and I approve this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment