Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Random Sports Thoughts: NBA Playoff Edition

The NBA playoffs are underway, and here are a few thoughts that I have so far.


Boof Of The Week- All of my people who went to school in the Lansing School District between 1994-2000 was either on the receiving end of, or gave a boof/rig at one point. A boof/rig was when someone would come up to and snap your neck after you said or did something extremely stupid. So, this week, I'm going to present my first Boof of the Week. Drumroll please....The Boof of the Week goes to: Amare Stoudemire! I was questioning Amare's sanity for being in public, in the year 2012 with those struggling braids. He's out here with those OG Bobby Johnson braids(word to "South Central" for those who don't know...). All of my questions were confirmed when at halftime of the OKC-Dallas game they said that he punched the glass on a fire extinguisher in frustration after the game. Even when Sherm told Bobby Johnson "Ray Ray got your son stealing car stereos", he got mad, but didn't punch anything that would damage his hand. Now, Amare is out for the rest of this series, thus killing the slim to none chances that the Knicks had to beat the Heat. So, Amare for your act of genius, please come up here and receive your boof from the good folks here at mrwilson42.blogspot.com.



"No one man should have all that power"-Kanye West- We all know that as one of the most arrogant people ever, Ye was talking about himself. However, a few years later it is the perfect way to describe his hometown team, the Chicago Bulls. When Derrick Rose tore his ACL on Saturday most people, myself included thought they would still be able to get past the 76ers. After last night's performance though, I'm thinking they'll lose in 6. I'm not breaking any news by saying, playing without your best player in the playoffs is different than doing that in the regular season. C.J. Watson, and John Lucas are serviceable, but you can't win a championship with them as your starters. So at this point, here's hoping that the Bulls show some pride and heart on the way out, and for a full, healthy recovery for D. Rose. The league needs that guy to be a factor for years to come.

"Where amazing happens"- Show of hands if you were stunned when you woke up on Monday and saw that the Clippers came back and beat the Grizzlies. Thankfully, I stayed up and was able to see it as it happened. It was one of the sneakiest comebacks ever. I wasn't really paying it attention, but then I looked up and it was down to 15, then kept decreasing. Kenny Smith after the game had the perfect analogy. When a building is on fire, everyone can't run around in a panic. Someone has to take control and get everyone out in an orderly fashion. No one did that for Memphis. Once Memphis started missing all the threes they made earlier in the game, they didn't have an answer. They completely buckled under the pressure of the comeback. I give the Clippers a ton of credit for not tapping out when down by 27, but Memphis gave it away as much as the Clippers came back. I am very interested to see Memphis can shake this epic choke job, or if there is a carry over in game 2.


"Playoff Basketball"- Last night while watching the Bulls game, I counted 10 times in the first half that Reggie Miller said, "that's playoff basketball". Chris Webber is a flagrant offender in using that line also. My question is, why keep harping on that? I believe everyone that is tuned in knows it's playoff basketball. Those who don't, figure it out quickly when they see the Playoff logo on the court, the playoff graphic by the score, or when it says NBA PLAYOFFS on their TV guide. There is no reason to use that as a line to describe every hard foul, or the strategy that goes into the game. As an analyst, their job is to describe what is happening in the game, not give me a reminder of what I'm watching. Please stop insulting our intelligence and talk about what's happening in the game without using that weak cliche. Thanks.

Spur'd Up- This one is for my boy D. Duncan. He's the ONLY true Spurs fan that I know. I've never been a fan, but I definitely respect their work. My cousin Jarret asked this question Monday on Facebook: How are the Spurs the #1 seed in the West and completely slept on by everybody? My knee jerk response was, "Consistency, no drama, no ego(at least outwardly), and not being flashy always goes under the radar. People find that boring and miss the fact that they are one of, if not the best organizations in the L". There is also the fact that they have choked in the playoffs before. That makes it easy to pick against them once this time of the year is here. However, I will not be shocked if they are hoisting another trophy at the end of this year. You asked me to know leave your boys out, so there you have it D.Duncan.

So, there are just a few thoughts that I have on the Playoffs so far. I could go on all day, but I'll leave it there for now. Please be on the lookout for more as the Playoffs roll on. Ya'll be easy.

I'm Jimmy L. Wilson, Jr. and I approve this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment