Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day Salute


Title: Father's Day Salute

One of the strongest bonds between a Father and Son is sports. From the Father teaching the son how to play a sport, to just spending time to watching games together, sports are a big dynamic in this relationship. With Father's Day approaching, I decided to reach out to a few friends of mine who played high school sports in the Lansing area and give them the opportunity to salute their Father. Here are their words:

Mark Watts, Everett Basketball, Class of 84: "If I have one word to describe my father it would be INCREDIBLE. He taught me to pray, to respect women and others and to be HUMBLE. This is from a five-time Golden Glove champion and Boxing Legend who ALWAYS praised the Lord. He raised 4 children and stayed married to his Wife (our mother) 50 years till the Lord called him home. I'd ALWAYS tell my father "Dad I wanna be JUST like you when I grow up and he'd say, NO, be BETTER than ME!" He's my SUPERHERO!!!!! and DAD, I could NEVER be better than you for you are Truly THE GREATEST!!! Love u 4ever, your son Marky.


Nathan Duncan-Waverly Basketball, Class of 2004: My dad influenced me through sports early on in the driveway, watching the NBA's best in the 90's and taking me to my first Michigan State Men's Basketball game. Being a coaches kid was a big influence as well, as my brothers and I would go to practices when he was an assistant at Everett. He always allowed and made us work on our games. He made me pay attention to how players got themselves open, played defense, and even talked on the court which made my love for the game stronger.

Eventually becoming one of his players for 2 or 3 years as a member of the Lansing Warriors, was probably the biggest influence through the game of basketball for me. I went home with my head coach after every practice and every game; so he constantly stayed in my ear. Whether it was things I did wrong and needed to improve on, he was continuosly telling me to work harder. He also pointed out things I was doing right and should keep doing. That was probably the best influence I as a player could have because I continously got coached even after practices and games. I couldn't see it then but looking back on it, it was great, appreciated and needed.

In regards to influencing me as a Young man through basketball, he taught me about accountability, hard work, paying attention to detail, being passionate about what I do. He taught me that hard work pays off, to never give up and have fun while doing it all. He has influenced me to pursue coaching down the road. I love my dad for teaching me and showing me all these values through the game we both love! Because my dad exposed me to the game in the way that he did, I am who I am today!



Paul Van Dyke, Everett Basketball, Class of 99 : Growing up my dad wanted me and my brother to play different sports to encourage teamwork, toughness, and discipline. I always remember my dad being there after each game telling me good job no matter if i played terrible or if i did a great job. My dads encouragement in sports has been a essential foundation to my adult life.








Jimmy Wilson, Jr. Everett Basketball Class of 2000: My Dad was my biggest influence when it came to sports. His favorite sport was basketball, so naturally, that became mine. We spent countless hours shooting around, playing horse, and one on one. We even took something simple as throwing paper towel in the trash and turned that into a shooting contest. No matter how tired he was after work, he'd come to the backyard with me while I shot around. As a youngster I just thought it was part of him being Dad, but now having worked at GM like he did, and knowing the toll that can take physically, I have a true appreciation for it.

He also is the main reason you're reading my thoughts on sports right now. When he worked nights, he would ask me about who won the games while he was at work. I would run it down play by play, until he fell asleep on me. When we watched games together, I would be giving my thoughts, he would give his, and it would turn into a "Pardon The Interruption" type debate. When the debate was done he would say, "you should be a commentator or sports writer". He planted a seed that is continuing to grow, and I truly love, thank, and appreciate him for it.



Those are just the thoughts of a few. There are many Father's in the Lansing Area past and present, that should be saluted for coaching, supporting, and influencing their children through sports. I would name you one by one, but I don't want to forget any. Just know that it was truly appreciated, and never to be forgotten. Thank you for all that you have done. Happy Father's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment