Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sit Back and Enjoy: NBA Finals Preview/Thoughts

We are hours away from Game 1 of the NBA Finals between the Oklahoma City Thunder and Miami Heat. It has been stated over and over, but this is the Finals matchup most people expected coming into the season. That doesn't make the anticipation for the series any less. I could spend my time giving a typical preview, instead I want to ask that we all enjoy what we are about to see. There are so many points of intrigue that will go a long way to make this a special series.

This Finals has arguably the two best players in the world participating in them. I can honestly say it has been a good number of years since that statement could be made. Both LeBron James and Kevin Durant have played at an extremely high level during the regular season and playoffs.

LeBron has been a monster in these Playoffs. I would say that he has been the only consistent player on the Heat during this run. Dwyane Wade had a couple of big games, but the driving force and steadying influence for the Heat has been the reigning NBA MVP. His performances in Game 6 and 7 against Boston were excellent. He looked like a guy on a mission. However, he will be judged on what he does in this series. Last year in the Finals against Dallas, he came up very short. Win or lose for the Heat, he has to play at or even better than the level he has in the Playoffs so far. All eyes will be on him, and looking to see how he performs on the grandest stage of them all.

Kevin Durant has won three consecutive scoring championships. Watching him with the basketball in his hands is a thing of beauty. He is the best closer in this series. Should the game come down to a final possession for the Thunder, I believe they will be in better shape than the Heat. This is part of the reason that I picked Dallas to beat Miami last year. I felt that they had the best finisher in the series in Dirk. OKC has the best one in this series. On top of that, for those who are looking for someone to root for to take down LeBron, KD is your guy. He seems like a geniunely good dude, and is easy to cheer for. This is his first time on this stage, but I feel he has the demeanor and game to represent well.

This series also could be the beginning of a dynasty for one of these two teams. OKC is a very young team, and while Serge Ibaka and James Harden will be free agents after this season, they are still set-up to rule the West for years to come. They have a great front office, and will be able to make moves to assure that.

Meanwhile, the Heat, still have the Big 3. While I don't trust the supporting cast as far as I can throw them, they have done enough to get them to this point. I believe with a few tweaks to the roster, the Heat we be in this position a few more times in the coming years.

So, I implore you to enjoy what we are about to see. Don't let your hate for the Heat, or should I say LeBron, blind you to the fact that this will be an excellent series. There will be close, hotly contested games throughout and in the end your new NBA Champions will be the Oklahoma City Thunder in 6 games. Please enjoy it because series with this much star power don't come along very often. From the aforementioned Bron and KD, to DWade and Russell Westbrook, this should be epic. Have fun watching, because I sure know that I will.

I'm Jimmy L. Wilson, Jr. and I approve this message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment